1. Peel ginger with a spoon, it’s much quicker and wastes a lot less!
2. Smash garlic hard with the side of a knife first and it will be much easier to peel.
3. Place a piece of parchment paper over the small grater holes before zesting fruit. When you have finished, remove and all the gratings will be collected on the paper.
4. Save Parmesan rinds and already squeezed lemon halves and add to soups, stews and stocks to intensify their flavour.
5. Save the water from chickpea cans and whisk up like you would egg whites. This can be used as a cheap and healthy egg substitute in meringues and bakery products.
6. Extend the lifespan of your fresh herbs by placing them in a container with a damp paper towel.
7. Use an acid such as lemon juice or vinegar to give life to fried vegetables, rich stews and sauces.
8. Pouch eggs in vinegar water and simmer lightly to keep them together.
9. Busy week ahead? Make large batches of soups, stews or curries at the weekend and freeze them in smaller tubs to be heated through when you get home.
10. Only cook pasta in vigorously boiling water to stop it sticking together!